Dec 5, 2008

how do the mornings look?

how does the morning look at your home? how does the morning look at X's home or Y's home?
today, on a lazy winter weekend, while having my date with a steaming cuppa, i was reminded of this eternal query on my mind, aeons back...
i would love the way the morning looked at home with the sun kissing the bed, bathing the balcony with its warmth and creating a feeling of hope and renewal in my mind.
similarly when visiting my Mom's natal home or my paternal grandparents or any aunt, i first thing i would do when i woke up, was to run out and see what the morning was like... how did the trees look? how did the flowers bloom? how long was the shadow of the house? how did the people walking in the sun look? how much sunlight did the rooms have? and all these at later hours too... for the road in the morning looked different from the road at 10 am or 12 noon...
thus, i hated the monsoons, many days of which began with an overcast sky.
but for all my rendevous with the morning, which i never realised then, i understand now that it was possible only because of the habit of early rising that was forced down our gullet. so i had decided that once on my own, i would never wake up early when i am on my own.
but as luck would have it, i entered my professional life in a city that never sleeps... so my morning sojourns continued, but in a different way... i was in a train coming towards VT or Churchgate in Mumbai...
and now it is more of habit... i cannot sleep beyond a particular hour and can neither lie down when awake...
i have come to enjoy the mornings alone, i do not want to talk, i do not want to be distracted from my gaze outside the window where i stare out at the shadows that the buildings opposite my home create, the slow pace of the day (today), given the less number of cars on the road, some curious by-standers...
and let me tell you, i go back home each morning when i am looking out here at the speeding cars in the road outside my window... and one question in my mind is... morning are you the same there as you were 17+ years back?

No comments: