Aug 24, 2008

an empty box keeps an empty heart going

Long time ago, a friend of mine punished her four-year-old son for wasting a roll of gold wrapping paper.
Money was tight and she became infuriated when the small child tried to decorate a box to put under the tree.
Nevertheless the little boy brought the gift to his mother the next morning and said, "This is for you Mummy." Empty.
"Don't you know when you give someone a present there's supposed to be something inside of it???" said my friend.
The little boy looked up at her with tears in his eyes and said, "Oh Mummy it's not empty, I blew kisses into the box, all for you Mummy."
The mother was crushed. She put her arms around her little boy, and she begged him for forgiveness. My friend told me that he kept that gold box near her bed.
Whenever she was discouraged, she would take out an imaginary kiss and remember the love of the child who had put it there...
now the child has grown, moved shores and forgotten all about that box... but his mother still has kept it and fondles it when she misses her son too much...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

this brings tears & makes me miss my son who's in school now. could we know more abt this friend or the son?

imemyself said...

my Mum and Bro...