Sep 19, 2008

two calls that keep me going

i am done with two calls i make every weekend -- Mom and Didirani (about the latter in some other post)... now these are fixed calls which are interspersed with some impulse calls that i make within the week, most of the weeks...
the similarity between these two calls are: they keep me going throughout the week, plus the numerous other details that we share over the call... the maids, the weather, the gifts that they are planning now that the yearly festival, Durga Puja, is fast approaching, the winter after the Pujas and last but not the least, when is my next visit due, so that both these women can start preparing mentally of all that they want to do with me and want me to do with them... that was the positive...
this last point always has a negative since neither of them is ever satisfied with the amount of time i spend with them... they would ideally want me to stay the entire duration with them singly... but i have my other commitments too... and in this, they are very very selfish... neither wants me to be shared... Mom gets irrational at times and says, "You come once in so many months, or a year and a half later, and all you do is get a list of things that you have to finish... what about my list?"... which list is it Ma? "It is the one i made about all those things i got to tell you about... the aunt who never calls, the nephew who comes only when he needs, the neighbour who has gotten so busy that she does not bother about anyone...." that eluisve list which is full of ordinary, nothing-new information, but which she has to let me know...
did u tell these to B, my bro? "He is busy so no time for these small things. Now tell me when i can begin with the list," she says with the decision that she has already made about telling me those things which matters to her, but not me... she knows it, but has to share them with me and me alone...
i am stumped with her patience at my total disinterest, but give in (even if it means some rescheduling of my own list), knowing that these intangibles do not last a lifetime...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

lucky u that u have so select few to brood over u, a vvip that u r!

Anonymous said...

thats so real and I feel for it. I too have the same issue, with old and lonely parents at home and we stay far far away.

Please watch 'Ballygaunge Court'