Jul 16, 2008

child lock

i haven't put this on my TV... and many a day, my preteen is at home while i am at work...the doubt crossed my mind yesterday when a friend who had come for dinner said that his kids -- the son 11 and daughter 6 -- were allowed only two channels on TV, and despite the fact that their mother is full-time at home... this while my preteen was busy with a song-and-dance sequence...
while i think the mention was just to make us feel a little doubtful of our parental skills, i have settled the doubt once and for all -- how will my child get to know what is happening around the world, if i allow her only two channels, though i often have to goad her to watch news. second, when will she enjoy vicarious romance, if she can only watch what we want? why can't she watch chick flicks and laugh all by herself?
when all this was crossing my mind, i was driving home from work... when i got back, i looked at her face, her eyes searchingly... and all i could see was innocence writ large...
i have done ok, i told myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see my parents in you You are just awesome.

Anonymous said...

I see my parents in you. You are simply awesome.